Pages

Sunday, June 9, 2013

A Cultural Issue

   One of my favorite pastimes is people watching. (who doesn't love to do this honestly?) People are fascinating, and as I sit here studying various persons I can't help but wonder what they are thinking and what their lives are like. Especially here in London (such a touristy area) there are people from all over the world and I want to know their story; I want to ask what brought them here.

   As I continue to people watch I think about how people are essentially the same; we all laugh, smile, cry, eat, and breathe. Yet the longer I continue to watch the more I realize how different we are. I see people doing things here in a public park that would be deemed inappropriate back in the U.S. but here it is culturally acceptable. I have also been made aware (and have tried to be cautious of) my own American behaviors which are not pleasing to the Brits. (Such as speaking to loudly). And though I have noticed cultural differences before is hasn't ever really bothered me. I understand them and respect them.

  But then the other day my friends and I overheard a conversation between a couple of non-Americans who were complaining about how Americans work too much. They chastised the importance we place on "living to work" versus "working to live". I honestly just blew off the conversation; everyone is entitled to their own opinions, right? However, later on my friends brought the topic back up, and I realized many of them seemed insulted by it. I thought to myself should I have been insulted as well. Certainly I don't agree with what was said and I believe hard work is important. However, it still didn't seem to bother me as much as it did some of my classmates.

  My thoughts of course led from one thing to another and I began to wonder if as an American should I try to "hide" my culture while I am abroad or should I embrace it? Americans are loud while the British are much more reserved, but does this mean I should quiet myself during my stay in London? And if I do change my habits (at least for the time being) am I disregarding my own culture?

  I still don't really have any answers to these questions, but I do feel that it is important to have a balance. I think it good to be proud of your country but there also needs to be respect for the country you are visiting. I guess the real question is how we do this. Again, I honestly haven't figured this out yet. I find that it's one of those gray areas with no right or wrong answer. It seems to be up to each individual to find a balance between pride for their native culture and respect for one they are entering.

Hampton Court:

Actors portraying the Kings and Queen can be seen running around Hampton Court

Hampton Court Garden

Making our way through the garden's maze


Success!!

No comments:

Post a Comment