Pages

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Inspritational Beauty

  Could you ever have imagined that beauty could be found at the Tube Station. I certainly couldn't. The stations are smelly and dirty, and on occasion you will see a little rat scurrying by (ICK!). However, the other day my friends and I were witnesses to the most inspirational act of beauty we had seen since arriving in London. We were sitting on the tube when an elderly lady made her way on. Almost as soon as she stepped up off the platform the gentleman across from me stood up and offered his seat.

   It doesn't seems so special until you remember how many rude people the twelve of us have encountered on our trip thus far. The rest of the girls and I were so impressed and surprised by his little act of chivalry, so imagine our delight when another young lady offered her seat to older gentleman. It was as if a revolution had been started! But not only did the man politely decline the seat; he turned and offered it to his wife. Chivalry is not dead my friends!

   Like so many other things on this trip I was inspired by this little movement of politeness. The act of sacrificing a seat was something so simple yet it was also such a beautiful act of kindness. However, I admit this isn't really the part that touched me. What impressed me the most was the effect that one man had on everyone else. He never intended to call attention on his good deed. Yet people still took notice, and they were inspired by it.

   My pastor once said to me that if you think of something good to do, you should do it. Since that day these words ring in my ears every time I think of how I can go out of my way to do something special for someone else. Many times I chicken out, but I have found that when I do muster up the courage to do something kind it's rewarding. It makes people feel special and hopefully inspires them to go out of their own way for someone.

   And I have found that this is how the love of Christ is spread to the ends of the Earth, through little acts of inspirational beauty, by one person showing kindness to another, moving them to do the same.

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself" -Matthew 22:36-39 

No comments:

Post a Comment