Pages

Thursday, June 6, 2013

I Am No C.S. Lewsis, But...

    Table six, the table where two of the world's greatest writers met every Tuesday. The same table I ate lunch at during my time in Oxford. It is here that C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, and the other members of the Inklings debated their perspectives on Christianity, revealed rough drafts of soon to be famous novels, and laughed about their crazy teachers over at the University.

   C.S. Lewis (The Chronicles of Narnia) and J.R.R. Tolkien (The Lord of the Rings) were and are two of the most renowned Christian scholars. Lewis, especially, has written several books whose concepts are still being grappled with. He made us question whether Jesus was the Lord, a liar, or a lunatic and asked us to contemplate if we truly do live in an unjust world.

   As a "writer" (and I use this term VERY loosely) I do my best to express my ideas and thoughts, but I know that I will never be the next C.S. Lewis. I enjoy writing; however, my mind doesn't seem to always be turning up profound thoughts like his did. But this isn't to say that I don't have passion or skill; it just lies in another area.

   Back when I was a freshman I attended a conference in Atlanta geared towards sorority women (ZTA shout out!!) During one of the various sessions the Circle of Sisterhood founder Ginny Carroll spoke to us about the statistics of girls who lacked educational opportunities. She reached out to us as women who had been educated and asked us to do something for our fellow girls. Something about this challenge tugged at my heart.

   It didn't seem right to me that I had all these opportunities, yet these girls (who are younger than I am) were (and still are) being sold into slavery or forced to marry just because their families couldn't afford to send them to school and needed extra money. If I could provide for them the finances necessary to attend school there would be more money left over for food and doctor visits. There would also be a higher chance of them getting a job and creating stability for their family. I realized that it isn't fair that these young ladies who are as equally important and talented as the rest of us lack the means to develop their skills and put them to use.

   Now as a senior, this passion for educating girls is pulling at me even more, and it consumes my thoughts on a regular basis. I find myself wanting to reach out to them in any way I possible. I feel the need to tell them that they are beautiful, and they can be anything they want to be. For all things are possible with Christ!

    As I said before, I know that I will never be the next C.S. Lewis or J.R.R. Tolkien. I enjoy writing, but it isn't my passion. So many of the girls on this trip are great writers, but I find myself struggling to get the words out. However, just because I will never be a famous novelist doesn't mean that I can't leave an impression on this world. In fact C.S. Lewis and I do have something in common. We are both passionate about spreading the Lord's cause. He worked through writing and sharing God given morsels of wisdom; while I on the other hand desire to travel to the ends of the earth. And in the long run it doesn't really matter how we spread the love of God; as long as we are doing so we live a life that honors Him.

"We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis, Letters to Malcom

“All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

"Talent is universal; opportunity is not" -Nicholas Kristof, Half the Sky

But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." Acts 1:8

Oxford:
 


Inside the pub, The Eagle and Child
C.S. Lewis' map of Narnia

No comments:

Post a Comment