Pages

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Defying Gravity

  I am a senior in college. (WOAH! WHAT?) I'm pretty sure I am still in denial about this, but the truth is that I am. What is even more mind blowing than this is that I graduate in December. (That is not that far away, People! CRAZY!!) The thought of graduation both scares me and excites me. I will be starting a new and (hopefully) exciting chapter in my life, but I am going to miss everything that I will be leaving behind. I have made some of the best friends I have ever had, joined a wonderful sorority, and have been blessed with opportunity after opportunity throughout the past three years. I realize college doesn't last forever, but thankfully the friendships will and I can continue my involvement in ZTA even after I graduate. I am also 100 percent certain that I will discover more opportunities once I enter the "real world".

  Earlier in the week I saw Wicked at the Apollo Victoria Theatre here in London. The show of course was incredible and it had so many connections to what God has been teaching me lately. The show touches on the importance of friendship, love, doing the right thing, and of course defying gravity. The lyrics of this particular song are what really stood out to me during the performance; Elphaba, the main character in the show sings about taking risks and not letting others bring you down and as weird and cliche as it may sound it spoke to me. Because the thing that probably scares me the most about graduating is that I don't know what I will be doing afterwards. I know what I would like to do, but will ever really happen? I don't know. I am trusting that it will and that God will provide for me but of course I still doubt at times. And it doesn't help when I meet someone who tells me my dreams are unattainable. I'm sure you have met someone like this. You tell them all about your big plans and they nod and smile, but you know that their rolling their eyes behind your back.

  It's hard to not let people like this bother me, but I also know what is more important. I refuse to let people's discouragement get to me. For I know nothing is impossible, and I can't change the world unless I try. So graduation and the unknown might be scary but knowing that I never attempted to fulfill my dreams because I was to afraid or because someone told me to just give up is an even more terrifying thought. So instead of listening to all these voices telling me to do otherwise, I am going to do the impossible. I am going to try defying gravity.

"I'm through accepting limits ''cause someone says they're so. Some things I cannot change but till I try, I'll never know! Too long I've been afraid of losing love I guess I've lost. Well, if that's love it comes at much too high a cost! I'd sooner buy defying gravity, kiss me goodbye, I'm defying gravity And you can't pull me down."



No comments:

Post a Comment