Pages

Friday, June 7, 2013

London Bucket List

  By now I am sure you have realized I have sort of a love hate relationship with London. I love all the sites and history but hate the crowds and the urgency. And with that being said I would like to share with you some of my favorite things to do and see around London. (And then a couple of the touristy things I find overrated.)

London Must Sees and Dos:

1. Kensington Gardens and Palace: As I mentioned in Down the Rabbit Hole, Kensington Gardens is a good place to escape from the busy London life. Also, Princess Diana lived in the palace here and of course she is my favorite royal of them all so I may be a little bias.

2. The walk along Thames River: Last summer when I was here I walked all the way from Victoria Station to the London Tower and back. This walk pretty much takes you past all the major tourist sites such as: Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, Parliament, Big Ben, The Globe Theater, and The Tower Bridge. Note: This walk took me a full day. And yes you can get to all these places by the Tube, but walking makes for a much prettier view along the way!

3. National Portrait Gallery: My classmates and I went here the other day, and we loved it so much that we are thinking about going back. It's especially fascinating if you are an avid reader of British literature or royal family enthusiast. I've also heard the nearby National Gallery is amazing as well.

4. The British Museum: You can definitely "waste" a whole day wandering around this museum. It
has a section for every culture and time period that you could possibly desire to learn about. Currently there is a Pompeii exhibit, and as someone who has visited the real Pompeii I would say it's definitely worth checking out.

5. Westminster Abbey: Beautiful, just beautiful. This church is filled with irony as well as centuries of history. You can even find a door that was built in the 1050's (now that's OLD) and for some reason I just find that cool.

6. A play at Shakespeare's Globe Theater: Okay I haven't exactly done this one yet. I've seen it, but I haven't been able to actually watch a play there yet. However, that will change on Wednesday and i'm sure it will be fantastic!


7. Covent Garden: Covent Gardens is filled with street performers, a flea market, and cute little restaurants and boutiques. There is also the cutest little tea shop ever!

The Overrated Sites and Attractions:
My lovely view: changing of the guards

1. Changing of the Guards: Just don't. Don't do it. It's overcrowded and unless you want to get there an hour ahead of time you won't be able to see. Actually no matter how early you get there, you WILL NOT be able to see. Just YouTube a video of it.

2. The London Eye: I debated with this one. I think it's one of those things you should do just so you can brag about the fact that you have done it once your back home. However, it's really not as awesome as you would hope. Although I am planning on going on it again but this time after sunset. I think it will be cooler to see everything when all the lights are lit up, and I will let you know later if I still feel the same way.


Also if you are ever in Seville, Spain check out my Sevillian Bucket list!

More changing of the guards nonsense:

SO MANY PEOPLE!!

Just to see some guys play the trombone?!?

I managed to catch a glimpse

This picture is what I call luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment