Pages

Monday, July 9, 2012

Sevillian Bucket List

  This past week has been pretty relaxed here in Spain. Therefore, since I don't have much to write about I am going to give you a list of things you should do in case you ever decide to visit Seville (which you definitely should do).

- Learn to flamenco (literally translated flamingo) or at least go see a Flamenco show. In June I took a flamenco class (technically it was Sevillana folk dance, but it is very similar) and let's just say learning the dance of the flamingos isn't as easy as it looks. Especially if you are me and have a major case of clumsiness.

Flamenco Show at Casa de la Memoria
- Eat tapas! (& a lot of them) My favorite tapa is definitely the goat cheese with jam. I must say I am slightly addicted. Other good tapas include croquettes, Iberian ham, and montaditos (small sandwiches).

My friends and I eating some delicious tapas
- Visit Ronda. I actually was just in Ronda two days ago, and it is a beautiful historic city here in Spain. It is home of the oldest bullring, and sits at the top of El Tajo Canyon.

The beautiful city of Ronda
- Tour a bullring. After arriving in Spain, I decided I would not be watching any bullfights, but I did still visit the Plaza de Toros in both Seville and Ronda.

At the Plaza de Toros in Ronda
- Come during the summer and on an even year. Soccer is a big deal here in Spain and on even years there is either the Euro Cup or the World Cup. And watching the games is definitely one of the best cultural experiences I have had. Also I will just throw out the fact that Spain won the Euro Cup this summer! (4-0 against Italy)

During the final soccer game of Euro 2012
- Go out at night. Spaniards do not sleep at night, which is another reason why they siesta during the afternoon. I must admit I am not really a night owl, but here everything happens late. Restaurants do not get busy until around nine, and the streets are still filled with people and children out playing. Also, the city is gorgeous at night.

Seville at night
- Eat at El Rinconcillo. It is the oldest bar in the city and was built in 1670. Like many bars here in Seville, El Rinconcillo is family oriented, my senora even told me stories about eating there when she was a little girl. The bar has also been owned by the same family for the past eight generations, and instead of using receipts they write your bill on the table with chalk.

El Rinconcillo, the oldest bar in Sevilla
- Go to the top of the Metropol Parasol. If you have been reading my blog, you have heard me talk about the Metropol Parasol before. However, what I haven't told you is this structure has a lot more than just a big screen to watch soccer games on. There is a museum underneath, as well as a market. Also, you can take an elevator to the top and look over the city.

The Metropol Parasol from the top
 - Eat churros with chocolate. Spain is not really famous for there desserts, but churros and hot chocolate is a popular combo here. It is probably a lot better in the winter, because both the churros and the chocolate are served piping hot. But occasionally there will be a cold night in Sevila which makes for a perfect time to enjoy the sweet dessert.

Churros con Chocolate
- Attend a concert in the Alcazar Gardens. These concerts are every night starting in June and go through August. They are only four euros and range from classical to flamenco.

Concert at the Alcazar Gardens
- Watch a movie at the university. Okay so I haven't actually done this one yet, but I am tonight (& I am sure it will be fun). The movies are played outside and can be anything from American to French.

Universidad de Sevilla

No comments:

Post a Comment