Pages

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Across Those Party Lines

   After writing yesterday's post A Taste of the South, I started thinking about the Miranda Lambert song "Only Prettier". The lyrics reminded me a lot of the relationship between Scotland and England. Neither are to fond of the other, and Scotland is actually in want of independence. I believe it had to do with not wanting to pay taxes... (Hmm.. sounds familiar)

  Anyway, the Scots and the English have never really been the best of friends (Just look at the relationship between Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth the I), and the lyrics of this song seemed such a fitting description for the two "rivals".

And even though I don't belong with your high life friends
Doesn't mean we don't get together and try to make amends
It's easier can you see lets agree to just disagree
We don't have to like each other but its sure fun to pretend

So lets shake hands and reach across those party lines
You got your friends just like I got mine
We might think a little differently
But we got a lot in common you will see
We're just like you, only prettier

  Its is funny to me that the two are both part of Great Britain and have so many similarities, but yet I struggled to find someone to take my Scottish pounds back here in England. (Note: English pounds are the exact same as Scottish ones except they have a different face on the front) So will these two ever reach across those party lines or will they simply let their jealousy of one another simmer until it overflows? I guess we will just have to wait and see...


No comments:

Post a Comment